Last weekend was an exciting one for me, I did my first ever cooking demo in the FREEE by Doves Farm kitchen at the Allergy and Free From show in London Olympia. It was probably one of the most nerve wracking things I’ve ever done, but I absolutely loved it – a huge thank you to everyone that came along to support me! For the demo I made my gluten & dairy free cinnamon sugar doughnut recipe (click here to be taken to this) along with a new flavour doughnut which I developed for the show – apple crumble! I had lots of questions asking if the recipe would be up on my website, so here it is. Scroll down for my gluten and dairy free apple crumble doughnut recipe (they can also very easily be made vegan too but switching the egg to an egg replacement).
You will need to get yourself a doughnut tray in order to make them, I use the Wilton Metal Doughnut Tray which is available to buy for under £10 on Amazon, click here to purchase. You can also use a Silicone doughnut tray, however I do find that metal works slightly better.
You may be wondering, if I’m using a ring doughnut tray then how does the apple filling stay in the middle?! These doughnuts are slightly more difficult to make than my standard ring doughnuts, but the trick is to fill your doughnut tray up to the very top, covering the center, so that when you take them out the tray they have a pocket in the middle to add the filling (I’ll explain more in the recipe instructions!).
You will need (makes 6):
For the doughnut batter
150g gluten free self raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
110g caster sugar
2 eggs (can be substituted for a flax egg or egg replacer)
120ml soya milk (can be substituted for any milk alternative)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
For the crumble topping
100g gluten free plain flour
50g dairy free butter
50g caster sugar
For the apple filling
2 cooking apples
50g caster sugar
1 tsp dairy free butter
1 tsp lemon juice
For the cinnamon icing
100g icing sugar
1 and 1/2 tbsp boiling hot water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1.Pre heat your oven to 190°C and line a small baking tray with baking paper for the crumble topping (this element takes the longest to cook).
2. Start by making the crumble topping. Add your gluten free plain flour and dairy free butter to a large mixing bowl and rub the mixture between your fingers until it starts to look like breadcrumbs. Stir in your caster sugar. Pour the mixture onto your lined baking tray and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes, ensuring that you give it a mix every 5-10 minutes so it doesn’t all stick together.
3. Whilst the crumble topping cooks, make your doughnut batter. Start by greasing your doughnut tray with cooking oil (around 3/4 tsp per doughnut hole), ensure that each doughnut hole is greased thoroughly – this will prevent the doughnuts from sticking when you take them out.
4. To make your doughnut batter combine your gluten free self raising flour, baking powder, sea salt and caster sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl beat together your soya milk, eggs, vanilla and cooking oil.
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well until fully combined and no lumps are present. Transfer the mixture to a jug (this makes it easier to pour into the doughnut tray) and pour into your tray. *You will need to ensure you fill each of the doughnut holes up to the very top of your tray with the batter as unlike ring doughnuts, my apple crumble doughnuts require a pocket to add the filling into (see photo below).
6. Bake for around 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven (they will look more like muffins than doughnuts) and leave to cool in the tray for around 10 minutes.
7. After 10 minutes (and using your oven gloves if the tray is still hot), use your fingers pinch the bottom of your tray (under each doughnut), this will help loosen them and make them easier to remove from the tray. You will then be able to twist your doughnuts to easily remove them from the tray. Leave to cool completely.
8. To make the apple filling peel and chop 2 cooking apples into small squares. Add to a saucepan with 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp dairy free butter and 50g caster sugar. On a low/medium heat continue to stir for around 10-12 minutes until it forms an apple sauce kind of mixture.
9. To make your icing combine your icing sugar with 1 and 1/2 tbsp boiling hot water and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. You may need to add a tiny bit more water for the perfect consistency.
10. Assemble your doughnuts! Start by dipping your doughnuts into the cinnamon icing mix. Then add a spoonful of the apple mixture to the centre of your doughnut and top with a sprinkle of the crumble mixture. Enjoy!
I absolutely love seeing what you’ve created, so if you do make this recipe (or any other recipe from my website) don’t forget to tag me over on my social media pages @glutenfreealice and use the hashtag #glutenfreealice