My sister has been eating vegetarian for around 6 months now, so this was the first Christmas that as a family, we had a veggie to cater for (plus 3 Coeliac’s & my dairy intolerance!). My Mum came up with the idea for this gluten free, dairy free, veggie and vegan sweet potato, veggie sausage and cranberry plait, which was absolutely delicious. It’s made using the gluten free Jus Rol pastry which is the perfect size, and the Heck vegan beetroot sausages, plus sweet potatoes & cranberries too. I posted a photo over on my Instagram feed and had lots of requests for the recipe, so here goes!
Scroll down for the recipe.
You will need:
1 pack gluten free Jus Rol pastry
1 pack Heck Beetroot sausages
1 large sweet potato
1 handful fresh cranberries
Salt and Black pepper
Dairy free milk (a few tablespoons)
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add your Beetroot sausages to a mixing bowl. The Heck sausages have no coating so you will not need to peel them however if you have different sausages you may need to peel the coating off first. Mash your sausages.
- Peel your sweet potato and cut into small (1cm) chunks. Ensure these are small so that they cook through. Add to the mixing bowl with the sausages and combine. Add a generous amount of salt and black pepper.
- Roll out your Jus Rol Pastry (lengthways), add the veggie sausage and sweet potato mix to the middle (See below photo). Add a handful of cranberries on top of the mixture.
- Cut rectangular pieces from each of the corners of your pastry, this will mean you are left with a piece of pastry on either side to tuck over the top and bottom of the plait. Cut horizontal strips across your pastry. Your plait should look like the below photo.
5. Tuck the rectangular pastry at the top and bottom of the plait over the mixture. Create a plait using alternative strips from either side of the mixture.
6. Once you have finished plaiting the whole thing, place on your baking tray and brush with your dairy free milk. Cook in the oven for around 35 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is cooked through. Enjoy!