Jaffa cakes always used to be one of my absolute favourite biscuits back when I could eat gluten and dairy, and although the Free From versions you can get in UK supermarkets are edible, they just aren’t the same! So I decided to take matters into my own hands and try making my own gluten and dairy free version! I have to say, they were a lot easier to make than I first thought, and taste just like the real thing!
Scroll down for my recipe.
You will need:
For the sponge:
50g golden caster sugar
50g plain gluten free flour
2 medium eggs
dairy free butter for greasing the tin
For the jelly:
1 packet (135g) orange jelly cubes
150ml boiling water
2 tsp orange marmalade
For the chocolate:
150g dairy free dark chocolate
- Dissolve your jelly and marmalade in boiling water and pour into a baking tray (so that its around 1.5cm high). Place in the fridge to set.
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C and grease a 12 hole cupcake tin with dairy free spread.
- Combine your caster sugar and eggs and mix well with an electric whisk for at least 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Fold in your flour to the mixture until combined.
- Spoon around 1 tbsp of mixture into each hole of the tray and bake in the oven for around 8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the tray and leave on a wire wrack to cool.
- Once the jelly is set, take out of the fridge and using a circular mould, cut 12 circular pieces of jelly. Place a piece of jelly on each sponge.
- Melt your dairy free chocolate over boiling water on the hob and then spoon on top of the jelly. Leave to set and enjoy!