Cornish Pasties used to be one of my favourite things to eat before finding out I was unable to eat gluten or dairy, so being able to eat a Free From version is such a treat. I know everyone says this, but my Nan is definitely one of the best cooks in the world, and this week she taught me how to make her famous gluten and dairy free Cornish Pasties, using the Genius gluten free puff pastry. There really is a real knack to making them, and my Nan knows all the tricks in the book! If you are going to try and make any recipe from my blog, this would be one of the ones I would recommend most! They are so delicious and taste just like the real thing. Scroll down for the recipe.
Ingredients (Makes 3 Cornish Pasties):
1 pack gluten free genius puff pastry
3 tsp Isabel’s gluten free gravy mix
1 large white diced potato
1 diced onion
1 small diced swede (slightly smaller than the potato)
250g stewing steak
Salt and black pepper
Dairy free butter
Small bowl of water for sealing
Beaten egg to glaze
Gluten free flour for rolling out the pastry
2. Next, preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
3. Open up your gluten free genius pastry and cut into 3 equal pieces. Each piece will be the pastry base for 1 Cornish Pasty.
4. Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto your work surface and roll out your first piece of pastry into a square shape. Put your rolling pin underneath the pastry (see photo below).
5. You will now need to fill your Cornish Pasty. Start by putting a few spoonfuls of vegetables inside, followed by a generous helping of salt and pepper, a third of the meat, more salt and pepper, another spoonful of vegetables, a teaspoon of Isabel’s’ gravy granules, more salt and pepper and finally, a small knob of dairy free butter.
6. Take your bowl of water and brush a very small amount around the edge of the Cornish Pasty. This will help the pastry to seal.
7. You now need to roll up your Cornish Pasty. Take the pastry which is on top of the rolling pin and roll over the filling. Carefully turn in the sides so that it’s totally sealed into a Cornish Pasty shape.
8. Repeat the same process for your 3 Cornish Pasties. Brush each Cornish Pasty with beaten egg before putting in the oven for around an hour and 15 minutes. If the Cornish Pasties start to get too brown, put some foil over the top whilst in the oven.
9. Once out the oven, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Enjoy!