French toast is something that I haven’t had since being diagnosed Coeliac, so I decided it was about time to make my own gluten free, dairy free and vegan version, meaning everyone can enjoy it! This recipe is served with a homemade berry compote and tastes delicious. If you get a chance to recreate my recipe, I’d love to see photos!
Scroll down for my super easy french toast recipe.
For the french toast:
3 slices gluten free bread (I used Asda freefrom brown bread but any bread is fine)
3/4 cup almond milk
2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp coconut sugar (could also use normal sugar or sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil for frying
For the topping:
1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
2 tbsp maple syrup
Icing sugar for decoration
- Add your almond milk, flour, chia seeds, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon to a large bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Add your coconut oil to a frying pan and place on a medium heat.
- Coat your bread in the fully combined mixture and transfer to the frying pan to cook on each side for 3 minutes.
- Whilst your french toast is cooking, add your frozen mixed berries and honey to a frying pan on a medium heat for around 5 minutes stirring occasionally. (Until this forms a liquid mixture).
- Once your french toast is cooked, transfer to a plate and top with the berry compote and icing sugar, enjoy!
If a berry compote topping isn’t for you, why not try topping your french toast with fruit and syrup. Here’s my french toast topped with date syrup, bananas and raspberries which was equally as delicious!