One of the foods I miss the most since becoming Coeliac and milk intolerant is anything made from pastry! Croissant’s, pain au chocolats, cornish pasty’s, sausage rolls, cinnamon swirls – you name it, I used to love it! So today I decided to try making my own pastry based cake using the Jus Rol gluten free puff pastry which I picked up from the freefrom fridge section in my local Tesco. I know it’s kind of cheating using ready made pastry but it saves an awful lot of time and messing around! I decided to go for cinnamon and sultana swirls and was surprised at how easy they were to make! They are gluten and dairy free and taste incredible.
Scroll down for the recipe!
1 pack of Jus Rol gluten free pastry
100g coconut sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg (beaten)
25g dairy free butter
Icing sugar + water
- Remove your Jus Rol pastry from the fridge 5 minutes prior to starting.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- You will need to work quickly once you unroll your pastry, so make sure all of the ingredients are already measured out and in bowls ready to use.
- Unroll your pastry and brush with the dairy free melted spread.
- Combine your coconut sugar and cinnamon and cover the entire top surface of the pastry with a thin layer of the mixture.
- Evenly sprinkle your sultanas over the sugar.
- Its now time to roll your pastry. Start from the short edge and roll until it looks like a swiss roll!
- Cut your pastry roll into 8 swirls (Or however many you can get from your pastry!).
- Brush each of the swirls with your beaten egg and place on your baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for between 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once out the oven, leave to cool whilst you make your icing by combining icing sugar and water until you get the desired consistency.
- Drizzle your icing over the swirls and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this easy gluten and dairy free recipe! If you do get chance to make them, I would love to see your photos :).