Creating meals and recipes that everyone can eat is very important to me and if you are having friends or family round for dinner, you want to cook something that everyone can enjoy together! This sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry is exactly that! It’s gluten and dairy free as well as being suitable for vegans, egg free and soya free! A perfect and filling dish which tastes amazing and is very cheap to make! My whole blog so far has been focused on sweet recipes so I really hope you enjoy this savoury dish and if you do make it, please send me a photo on Instagram!
Scroll down for the recipe!
400g peeled sweet potatoes cut into bite size pieces
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp coconut oil
1 tin chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
- Pop your peeled sweet potato chunks into a saucepan of boiling water and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- Whilst your sweet potato is cooking, cut up 1 red onion into small pieces and fry (in a large pan/saucepan) in your coconut oil until it is soft. Add your chopped garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add all of your spices (curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, turmeric, black pepper) to the onion and garlic mix.
- Add your tin of chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and mix well, leaving to simmer.
- You should now drain off you sweet potato chunks, leaving around 1 cup of boiling water (that you used to cook the sweet potatoes) in the bottom of the saucepan. Add your sweet potato chunks and leftover boiling water into the saucepan with your tomatoes, cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add your drained chickpeas, cover and leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Make sure your spinach is washed and stir this into the mixture, leaving it for around 2 minutes before it starts to wilt.
- Serve with rice, lime wedges and gluten free naan bread.
Hope you enjoy. If you do make this recipe, let me know what you think.